_ -Seal air leaks around doors and windows with caulk
- Keep all AC supply registers open. Closing off rooms
or registers will not save money and may lead to problems.
- Repair air duct leaks in the attic or under the house.
- Change the AC filter monthly during heavy use. Dirty
filters slow down airflow and make the unit run longer.
- Set the AC thermostat at 78º F or higher. Raise it a few
degrees when away during the day. Setting the AC at 70º F
instead of 78º F can double your operating cost!
- Don’t try to speed-cool at a very low temperature when
you get home. Standard single-speed air conditioners cool
as fast as they can when on; they can’t cool any faster.
Choose your normal setting, preferably 78º F.
- Use fans in mild weather. A ceiling fan at medium speed
uses 50 to 100 times less energy than your central AC.
- Set your thermostat a few degrees higher when running
a ceiling fan. You will feel as cool at 80º F as you would at
78º F – but costs are reduced by about 15 - 25 percent.